Are those blackheads troubling you??? Worry no more!!! Here are the effective home remedies to remove blackheads.
Blackheads are something which might be deterring your way to a smooth and flawless skin. These can be considered as a milder form of acne. Clogged pores are the primary cause of blackheads. Oily skinned people are more likely to suffer from them. It can, however, affect any one at any point of their lives.
This is how a blackhead is formed:
- Oil glands secret oil and sebaceous glands produce sebum. This happens in deeper layers of the skin.
- Oil and sebum, thus produced, move to the upper layers of the skin.
- It collects dead skin cells, tiny hair and toxins released by skin during its journey to the outside world.
- Sometimes, what happens is that this bacteria and toxins laden mixture gets stuck in the pores just below the upper layer of skin.
- It oxidises here and its upper part or say head turns black. This is how it gets the name blackhead.
One must bear in mind that blackheads have their roots below in the deeper layers of the skin. Blackheads can happen to anyone, even to dry skinned people. Sounds controversial !!! Dry skinned people may get blackheads in the areas where the number of oil and sebaceous glands is high like nose and chin. However in oily skinned people, these can happen anywhere. Literally anywhere; back, shoulders, chest and even on buttocks. Blackheads on buttocks can be troublesome if you want to go to beach and have a sunbath.
Different kinds of OTC (Over the Counter) medications are available to get rid of blackheads. These come in the form of ointments, face washes, scrubs, blackhead removing strips etc. But why go the medicine way, when blackheads can be cured effectively at home using simple remedies. Even the blackhead removing strips can be made at home using simple ingredients. These remedies are 100% organic, 100% non-comedogenic and 100% effective. Apart from that, it will surely save some bucks.
Below are some of the effective remedies to clear blackheads at home:
- Baking Soda: Make a paste by mixing baking soda with water. Gently rub this paste on blackhead affected area for 3-4 minutes. Rinse off with water. Follow this with an oil free moisturiser or a non-comedogenic oil as baking soda may dry out the skin. Exfoliating effect of baking soda will remove any dead skin or debris that may be clogging the pores.
- Activated Charcoal: It acts as a skin cleanser and purifier. As soon as it is applied on the skin, it soaks up all the dead skin cells, sebum, oil and toxins from the deeper layers of the skin, thus clearing the pores and diminishing the appearance of blackheads.
- Sugar-Honey Scrub: Take equal amounts of sugar and honey. Let the mixture sit for some time. Sugar will dissolve in honey and little granules will be left. Use this scrub every other day to get rid of blackheads. Sugar contains glycolic acid which has cleansing and peeling properties. Honey is antibacterial and anti-fungal. All the properties combined together will clear the skin of impurities, dead skin cells and bacteria; thus clearing the blackheads.
- Epsom Salt: Epsom salt, when used as a scrub, removes the dead skin cells and clears the skin of any impurities. When the upper dead layer of the skin is removed, oil and sebum stuck inside the pores find way to come out; hence blackheads are cleared.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is one of the best remedies to cure blackheads. It is anti-bacterial and cleanses the skin from deep within. It is very effective in fighting acne and blackheads, revealing a clean and clear skin.
- Oatmeal: Having known this, you will think of taking a little of oatmeal from your breakfast table to beauty cabinet. Yes.. Oatmeal is not just a healthy breakfast. It can give you a healthy skin as well. It is full of antioxidants. When used as a scrub, it will not only cleanse and exfoliate the skin, rather will clear the blackheads as well. Moreover, your skin will get much needed dose of nutrients.
- Honey and Milk Pore Clearing Strips: Mix one teaspoon of honey with half amount of whole milk. Warm the mixture in a microwave or a small pan. Apply it on the affected area. Take it off after 15-20 minutes using lukewarm water. These homemade strips will surely give you a blackhead free skin.
Apart from above mentioned remedies, one can take some preventive measures to inhibit the appearance of blackheads.
- Follow the CTM (Cleansing, Toning and Moisturising) regime strictly.
- Keep your skin clean. Use a salicylic acid or AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) face wash.
- Stop the urge to touch blackheads.
- Always remove makeup before going to bed. Never sleep with makeup on.
- When drying, don’t rub your face with towel. Just pat dry. Be gentle with your skin. It’s your skin after all, the largest organ of the body.
- Include scrubbing in your skin care routine. Use a homemade or store bought scrub twice a week.
- Steam your face. Heat from steam loosens the debris and clears the pores.
- Facials once a month can prove to be very beneficial in keeping the blackheads at bay.
- Make exercise a habit. Sweating out removes toxins and impurities from skin.
- Keep yourself well hydrated.
These remedies when used in conjunction with the aforesaid preventive measures, will not only clear up the blackheads; it would rather prevent the further appearance of any kind of breakout.
If you are unable to get the desired results, consult a dermatologist. Your dermatologist may suggest a medicated face wash, cleanser or toner. Antibiotics may also be suggested depending upon the severity of the bout. Laser or microdermabrasion are the advanced techniques to get rid of blackheads in a short span of time.
Last but the most important, don’t ever prick or squeeze the blackheads. You may be tempted to prick and squeeze your blackheads which may seem a convenient and a fast option to remove them. But don’t ever do that. It will only lead to spread of bacteria and infection, in addition to the pesky black marks that it will leave behind.