In the recent times, studies suggest ‘smoking cigarettes leads to 1 in 5 deaths among which the 3 major smoking-related diseases include lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and cardiovascular disease. Apart from the mentioned diseases, this particular habit is also associated with several other cancers, diabetes, an escalated possibility of getting prone to unusual infections and colds, hip fractures, osteoporosis, difficulty in erection, gum disease, stomach ulcers, and complications in pregnancy to name a few.
It is very obvious to say “quitting smoking can boost your lifespan and help you live a positive and a healthy life”. Though the earlier you quit smoking, the better would be the outcome, it’s never too late to do so. Research proves that the benefit of giving up smoking are quite real regardless of your age. Here are 9 best possible methods that can assist you to quit smoking:
1. QUITTING COLD TURKEY VS SLOWLY TAPERINGStudies have shown that instead of gradually decreasing the amount of cigarettes smoked every day, setting a day and quitting cold turkey works best. There are more chances of giving up and increasing their smoking when you decide to gradually cut down. However, cutting out smoking from your life completely from a set date has more chances of keeping you motivated to stick to your plan.
2. QUIT WHEN YOU ARE IN A STABLE MOOD
Smokers usually gravitate towards cigarettes when they are going through smallest of stressful situations. Therefore, if you are planning to quit smoking when you are facing a challenging or stressful time in your life, chances are you will crack under pressure and turn towards cigarettes for comfort.The practical way of quitting smoking is taking this step when you are at a happy place in your life and your mood is stable. This way, you will not feel an urge to smoke as your mind will stay distracted by your happy mood and thoughts.
3. PRACTICE RELAXATION TECHNIQUESQuitting an addiction is not easy and can exhaust your mind and body. By practicing some relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, massages or even listening to calm music can relieve you from the stress that comes with dealing with tobacco cravings.
4. AVOID TRIGGERS
It is important to identify triggering situations that may make you crave tobacco. They can be places where you used to smoke, a certain group of people or even a particular smell.Once you identify such triggering situations, try your best to avoid them. You can do that either by finding something else to do when you find yourself in that situation or avoiding being in it completely.
5. KEEP YOUR MOUTH BUSYTo distract your brain from thinking about smoking, keep your mouth busy by chewing on something like sugarless gum, hard candy, celery, carrots, nuts or sunflower seeds, anything crunchy and satisfying.
6. PHYSICAL ACTIVITYOne way to deal with tobacco cravings is to do some physical activity. Even small bursts of strenuous activity can significantly reduce tobacco cravings and even make them go away. So, the next time you feel the urge to smoke, get up and do any kind of physical activity to get your heart racing. It could be an exercise like jumping jacks, running, squats or burpees. Or you can take a dancing break or go cycling round your block or even go swimming.
7. SWITCH TO DECAFWhen you are in the process of quitting smoking, you already feel on edge due to the constant battle with tobacco cravings. Consuming caffeine will only result in heightening that restlessness and make you feel jittery. Therefore, switching to decaffeinated coffee is a safe option. Drinking herbal tea to calm your nerves is also a good idea.
8. STAY MOTIVATED AND CONSISTENT
Consistency is the key to make this hard journey successful. If you give in to your urge to smoke once, you are likely to repeat it again and again. Convince yourself that letting your cravings take over you even will only make you go downhill.One way of staying motivated is to make a list of the reasons why you decided to quit smoking in the first place and reading it every time you feel the urge to smoke. This way, you will remind yourself of all the things that will be put at stake if you smoke again, which will help you see the bigger picture. By doing this, you are likely to push away your tobacco cravings with ease.
9. SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELPIf none of these tips seem to work for you, it’s best to consult a professional to find a way of quitting smoking that is most effective for you.
You can consult therapists to try nicotine replacement therapy or turn to support groups for help or consult your doctor who can provide you prescribed medication.
So having read this guide, we assume that you’ve decided to quit this disease-friendly habit of smoking. If not yet, note that most smokers who have abandoned cigarette smoking are leading a healthy and a happy life. Furthermore, they’ve said ‘goodbye’ to the entire possible smoking-related disorders.
Perhaps, quitting smoking isn’t that easy how it seems to be yet trying the above-listed measures you can overcome the same within days. So what are you waiting for? Follow this guide and see the amazing results, Good Luck!
- November 17, 2018
- October 19, 2018
- August 23, 2018
- October 12, 2018
- November 10, 2018
- August 23, 2018